Sunday, October 11, 2009

lines

in art mode. preparing myself for another art gallery internship interview. hoping i don't jinx myself by yammering about it. but a while ago, during the hours of internet scouring and countless image encounters, i stumbled upon this drawing [below], which i believe is by mel bochner. and i was flabber-ghasted by it's familiarity to some of my own drawings [above]. particularly, the large drawing i did (which of course i didn't photograph before i moved) that was of my line drawings, as seen above, but on tracing paper layered on top of one another.
i find it interesting because i tend to be somewhat disconnected from the fine art world, so i just create what i do because it's interesting to me. and then, after i am feeling confident about my stride i discover that someone else of prestige is working in the same realm. i have yet to decide whether or not this is something i should be upset about; that i am far from original, or that, because i was unaware at the moment, that it's a kind of validation that my ideas and interests are worth while. but i guess everyone is a compilation of things they've experienced and very rarely is anyone 100% authentic and original. i suppose that is my back-handed, mildly optimistic, viewpoint of the day.

No comments: